Fix Skype Recording Device Error: Reconnect With The WorldJessica G. Lee
The Skype application is one of the most popular communication systems out here. With this, you can reach your loved ones as well as to conduct business meetings.
Despite these advantages, it also has a lot of issues. The Skype Recording device error is one such issue.
This error message pops up when you try to place a call. Some of the users have reported that this issue occurs rarely. While others say they face this issue almost all the times.
So, if you are a victim of this error, then you don’t need to worry. You can simply take the help of this guide.
In this article, you will learn the methods that will help to fix the Skype issue easily. Hence, without wasting any time, let us proceed.
Technical Causes Responsible for Skype Recording Device Error
You should know the causes of this error message in order to fix it. Hence, have a look at the causes that are listed below:
- In case the Skype application is corrupt or out of date, then this error can occur.
- Also if the Audio Drivers are corrupt or out of date, this issue occurs.
- Another reason is if the Windows system files do not support the Skype application.
- Incorrect Mic settings on your system can also lead to the issue.
- Also, incorrect speaker settings can be held responsible for the issue.
Fix the Skype Error with Recording Device – Simple Methods
Here, in this section, you will get to learn the methods to resolve the issue. Therefore, follow all the steps in order to fix the issue in an easy way.
Now, have a look at the methods are discussed here.
Method 1: Disable the Exclusive Control for the Mic
After the Windows update, if the exclusive control for the Mic has got enabled, then it can cause this issue. Hence, you have to disable this feature right away.
The following steps will help you with the process:
- In the first step, open the Run dialogue box using Windows + R keys.
- As the Run box opens, type mmsys.cpl and then hit the Enter key.
- This will open the Sound Settings window on your system’s screen.
- Now, navigate to the Recording tab and then select the microphone that you use. After that, click on the Properties button.
- Inside the Microphone Properties window, go to the Advanced tab.
- Here, uncheck the box beside Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.
- Now, click on the Apply button to apply the changes.
- Finally, relaunch the Skype application to test the issue.
If the issue is resolved, then you are good to go. However, if it still there, then proceed to the next method.
Method 2: Tweak the Skype Microphone Settings
Making some changes to the Skype Microphone Settings can fix this issue. The steps are provided in the following section:
- First of all, open the Skype application on your system by double-clicking on its icon.
- As the Skype application opens, proceed to the Tools section on the top menu bar.
- After that, click on the Options tab and then click on the Audio Settings.
- Now, use the drop-down menu next to the Microphone option in order to select the Microphone that you are currently using.
- In the next step, you have to uncheck the box beside Automatically adjust microphone settings.
- Now, set the Volume bar as high as possible.
- Finally, save all the changes and then check if the issue still persists or not.
Method 3: Update the Sound Card to its Latest Version
In case the Sound card of your system is out of date, then this Skype issue can occur. Therefore, you need to update the Sound card to its latest version.
- Again, open the Run box and then type devmgmt.msc in the box. Now, click on the OK button in order to continue.
- In the Device Manager window, find and expand the Audio inputs and outputs section.
- As the section expands, identify the microphone which is causing trouble and then right-click on it.
- After that, click on the Update Driver option.
- As the new window opens, click on Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Now, wait for the update process to complete and then relaunch the Skype application.
- Finally, check if the Skype problem is still there or not.
Method 4: Reinstall the Sound Card
In case updating the Sound card to its latest version does not help, then you can perform this method. To reinstall the Sound card of your system, here are the steps:
- Just like in the previous method, open the Run box. From there, open Device Manager.
- Expand the Audio inputs and outputs section.
- Under this section, right-click on the Microphone that you are currently using. After that, click on the Uninstall option.
- Now, wait for the uninstallation to finish and then restart the system.
- The Windows system will automatically find and install the latest version of the Sound card.
- Finally, check if the Skype error still occurs or not.
You can now be able to fix the issue through this method. But if you have any doubts, then seek expert help.
Method 5: Run the Recording Audio Troubleshooter Tool
If the above methods fail to resolve the problem, then run Audio Troubleshooter. So, here is how you can run the tool:
- Open the Settings app from the Start menu. Next, click on the Update & Security option.
- After that, click on the Troubleshooting tab and then find the Recording Audio option from the list.
- On finding the option, click on it. Now, click on the Run the Troubleshooter button.
- After that, follow any on-screen prompts in order to complete the troubleshooting process.
- Once done, restart your system and then check if the Skype error still pops up or not.
Method 6: Set your Microphone as the Default Recording Device
Setting the Microphone as the default device helps to fix many Skype issue. Hence, perform these steps:
- Again, open the Run box and then enter mmsys.cpl. After that, click on the OK button.
- Now, as the Sound Properties window opens, navigate to the Recording tab.
- In the next step, click on the Microphone that you want to set as the default device.
- Now, click on the Set Default button at the bottom of the window.
- Once it is done, click on the Apply button and then click on the OK button.
- Finally, check if the issue persists or not.
Method 7: Reset the Skype Configuration Files
You can try to reset the Skype configuration files by carrying out the steps below:
- First of all, close the Skype application and then open the Run box.
- In the Run box, type %appdata% and then press the Enter key.
- Now, locate the Skype application and then rename it to Skype.old.
- Finally, restart your system and then check for the issue.
Hopefully, now you will be able to fix the issue easily.
The Final Verdict
To conclude, we have provided you the best methods in order to fix the Skype Recording device error on your own. Hope, you will not face any other difficulty while you carry out the steps.
However, in case you get some problems, then only expert help will be a wise choice.