Solve Skype Certificate Error: Learn The Easiest MethodsJessica G. Lee
Are you stuck with Skype certificate error and searching for the methods to solve the glitch? Then, you have come to the right place. From this article, you will get to learn effective workarounds to solve the issue efficiently.
But before stepping towards the solutions, let us know the possible causes at first. The certification error in Skype arises due to incomplete installation. Also, this can arise due to a virus attack.
A problem during downloading or installation of Skype is another reason which can result in such an error.
No matter whatever the cause is, you can solve them easily by following this guide. So, do not waste time and check out the methods.
Methods to Fix the Skype Security Certificate Error Efficiently
Before proceeding with the core methods, it is better to run a virus scan. Windows Defender, the default security tool, will work great.
To scan your PC using Windows Defender, follow these steps:
- First of all, open “Settings” from Start.
- Now, click on “Update & Security”. Click on “Windows Security”.
- Next, select “Open Windows Defender Security Center”. This will open Windows Defender.
- Now, click on the shield symbol to open the Virus and threat protection window.
- After that, click on the “Advanced scan” link that you will get at the top of “Quick scan”. Enable the checkbox for the Full option.
- Next, click on “Scan now” and wait until it is over.
Once, the scan is successfully done, now, proceed with the core methods to fix the Skype certificate error.
Method 1: Check the Date & Time Settings
If the time and date are not correctly set in your computer, then this can cause the certificate error. If this is the case, then follow the steps to set date and time properly:
- At first, navigate to Time and Date that is located at the bottom-right corner. Click on it.
- Next, click on the “Change Date and Time Settings” link.
- Now, under the Date and Time window, click on the “Change Date and Time” button.
- Set the date and time correctly.
- After that, check the Time zone section in the same window. Set your Time zone properly.
- Click on OK, to save the date and time which you have set now.
Now, reopen the Skype application and check if the error still persists or not.
Method 2: Modify the MachineGuid Value
By changing the MachineGuid value, you can solve the Skype certificate error. Here are the steps to follow:
- At first, press both the Windows and R keys at a time to open the Run window on the screen.
- After that, on the Run box, type regedit.
- Then, click on the OK button. This will help you to get the Registry Editor window.
- Now, from the left panel of the Registry Editor window, double-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand more related options.
- Now navigate to Software> Microsoft.
- Under the list of options below the Microsoft folder, double-click on Cryptography.
- Double-click on MachineGuid. This will opens up the Edit String window on the screen.
- Now, in the Value data field under the Edit String window, if you get any value is present, then delete that by the use of the Backspace key.
- And lastly, click on the OK button to save the changes.
- Now, restart your PC and then open the Skype application. Hopefully, this time you will not get the error further.
Method 3: Flush DNS Cache
After trying the above methods, if the Skype error is not resolved, then flush the DNS Cache to resolve the matter.
- At first, tap the Windows button to get the search bar.
- Then, on the search bar, type cmd.
- Next, from the search result, right-click on the cmd/Command Prompt option.
- After that, select Run as Administrator.
- Now, on the black background Administrator: Command Prompt window, type ipconfig /flushdns.
- Then, tap on the Enter button to execute the command.
Check if the problem gets resolved or not. If not, do not worry and try the next method.
Note: To execute the command property, you need to ensure that you have kept a space between ipconfig and /flushdns.
Method 4: Check the Validity of the Lync Certificate
If there is a validity problem of the Lync certificate, then this results in Skype certificate error. To check and resolve the matter try the steps as below:
- At first, press Windows key along with R to open the Run dialogue box.
- Then, in the Run bar type certmgr.msc.
- After that, tap the Enter button. This will open the Certificate Manager window.
- Now, under the Certificate Manager window, open the folder Personal> Certificates.
- Next, locate the certificate from the list, and then check the “Issued By” section of it. If the certificate status shows that it has expired, then remove this.
- Further, login to your Skype for Business account to check if it is working fine.
All these are effective workarounds to fix the Skype security certificate error. Hopefully, after trying the methods you will not get the error further.
However, if you keep on getting the same error message, then contact tech support professionals.